New and Novice Riders Information

Okay, you want to come racing. Well if you want to be part of the friendliest, happy, helpful, most sociable and relaxed motorcycle club, then you’ve come to the right place. It may seem like a hugely daunting task, and yes there is a lot to learn and get your head around, but no matter where you find yourself in the paddock, everyone you ask will guide you and point you in the right direction.

Launched in 2021 and available once again for 2023 - CRMC New Rider Programme - Your first 4 races can be FREE


Getting a Competition Licence to Race Motorcycles

1. Competition licence 

Q; How do I obtain my competition licence? 

A; By the following – 

Attending a Competitor Training Course 

You will also have to attend a one-day Competitor Training Course (CTC). This is a pretty basic course, which covers safety, flags, track etiquette, the way a race day runs, and some of the requirements that are a must. At the end of the day, you have to sit an exam, but as long as you’ve paid attention, you’d be pushed to fail. Some may feel that it’s a waste of time, but at least it means that everyone on the grid has at least a basic level of knowledge. 

Satisfactorily completing a Basic Riding Assessment 

These are run by a number of different clubs, who each have qualified ACU Instructors who are all experienced riders and capable of deciding if you are safe to race. You are expected to be able to demonstrate that you can control your machine, use the gears, brakes & controls. Whilst on track you will have to demonstrate that you can ride at a sensible competition pace, use the track safely – joining, leaving, following more or less correct safe racing lines, awareness of other riders, flags and riding to the conditions. 

It’s not too onerous – you are not expected to go at the same speed as Messer’s Rossi or Marquez, but to be able to ride in a safe manner. You also have to complete a practice start. You’ll do this in a group with others who are doing the same assessment, and you have to demonstrate that you can follow instructions and get away cleanly.

Completing a Medical Declaration 

You will need to sign a declaration stating that you are medically fit; if you have suffered from certain conditions or have a disability, the ACU may require further information or require you to attend their medical panel, who will decide if they can issue a licence. 

Passing an Eyesight test 

You have to have a satisfactory eyesight report from an optician. This is more or less the same as a normal eyesight test, but does include a field of vision test. If you are lucky, you may be able to get your optician to fill out the form as part of your normal test, otherwise you’ll have to pay extra for this. 

Complete Packages 

There are quite few clubs and organisations with whom you can complete the CTC (including the on-track assessment and eye-sight test in one day). Otherwise, on most Mondays throughout the year the ACU run the CTC course at their HQ in Rugby. Any optician can undertake an eye sight test, you can then attend a riding assessment to suit yourself. A list of clubs & venues is available here; 


Right, at last you’re ready to make your application. Before you send off the form you have to be a member of a club. To join the CRMC, click here. It is quickest to join online, just click the link. Or, if you prefer you can download a form and send to: 

Anji Yardley
Main Road
Hawthorn Cottage
Telephone 01507 568573 (Please do not call after 9pm) 

She will organise your CRMC membership and issue you with an ACU unique identification number (done automatically if you join online). With this number, you can apply for your ACU Licence. Download your ACU application form from their website: You can then write this number on the ACU form. This number proves you are a member of an ACU affiliated club. They are normally pretty quick in getting it back to you – typically 10 - 14 days. 

Race bike 

Now this can be one of the most difficult decisions you have to make. Don’t rush into buying the first thing you see - ask and talk to lots of people (everyone will probably say that the bike they have is the one to have!). Do you prefer two or four stroke? Do you want a pukka race bike, a classic bike, or a post-classic bike? Or maybe one that’s based on a production machine? 

The CRMC classes can be a little baffling at first, but once you have an idea of the sort of bike you want, there is a list of helpful Class Representatives on the CRMC website who can talk to you in more detail about the specific bike. 

Many of our newcomers have started with the production class route. It is probably the cheapest way to wet your racing feet. Beware though the ‘Ebay special’ route. What may seem a complete bargain at £500, will often cost at least another £1000 to be race ready, even though there are strict rules on what you can change on a production bike. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a bike that has already been raced. 

Eligibility Certificate 

Every bike that races with the CRMC must have an Eligibility Certificate, which is issued by the club. This certificate indicates which race class the bike is eligible to enter. You'll find more information about all the classes here: 
If you have any questions, please contact the eligibility officer, their details are on the Contacts page:

Novice Rider Programme - Race for FREE!!

This is an exciting new incentive for novice or lapsed licence holders to race with the CRMC. It will mean the rider is entitled to one FREE set of 4 races at one race event. The application form with further details is in the document library here: